5 Minute Intro to HR Technology
An Introduction to HR Technology
You’ve read it in the headlines. You’ve heard it at the watercooler. #HRtech seems to be the next big thing on your twitter feed. But what does it actually mean?
You can find a detailed definition of the emerging term here, along with examples and industry jargon – but if you’ve only got 5 minutes, here’s what you need to know.
15 Second Definition of HR Technology:
Technology used to attract, hire, and retain talent.
Origin of HR Technology:
The term itself has evolved over time, loosely from the days of Paper-based Systems > PC Systems > Electronic Databases > to today’s Web-based Technology
HR Technology Names to Know:
- Chris Russell (@Chris Russell), RecTech Media, Chris is considered the ‘mad scientist of online recruiting’. He blogs frequently about the HR tech industry and is a top influencer. Great advice from a great guy.
- Josh Bersin (Josh_Bersin), Bersin by Deloitte, Research-based strategies and implementation advice. A piece of Bersin by Deloitte research is downloaded approximately every minute during the business day.
- Meghan M. Biro (@MeghanMBiro), Talent Culture, Thought leader in talent management, workplace leadership and HR technology. Creator of the Talent Culture community and frequent Forbes contributor.
- Tony Karrer (@HRtechCentral), HR Tech Central, Tony curates HR technology content from across the web.
Hot HR Technology to Watch:
Employee Data Management – Kin HR – Centralizes employee onboarding and employment files. Simplifies compliance paperwork and employee history while speeding up onboarding times.
Talent Analytics – Ideal – Ideal’s Talent Analytics technology instantly shortlists the best candidates for your company and increases workplace diversity. Stands to save hours of resume screening and failed hire costs while reducing turnover.
Payroll Automation – Gusto – Paperless, simple user interface and automatic tax filing. Used to produce easy to read statements and reduce tedious paperwork.
What It Means for Your Business:
What once may have appeared to be a fad is now clearly here to stay. Many providers offer tiered pricing structures as to be accessible for Fortune 500 companies and mom-and-pop pizzerias alike. The number of firms that have implemented HR tech are rapidly growing and your competition may have already started. If you only remember one thing from this intro, remember not to run before you walk when working with HR technology. Choose one area of optimization and focus on that metric for example, employee turnover or onboarding time before expanding into another.
How have you started to incorporate HR technology at your organization?
Have more than 5 minutes? A great place to learn more: Long-read history of HR Tech
Latest posts by Kayla Kozan (see all)
- Ideal Joins SmartRecruiters Marketplace, Now Every Customer Can Enjoy Recruitment Automation Fully Integrated Into Their Hiring Workflow - May 16, 2017
- Guest Post: What’s New in the World of Recruiting Trends? - May 3, 2017
- Ideal Applies Artificial Intelligence to Optimize High-Volume Retail Hiring - April 3, 2017