Job fit is a hot topic these days. Last week, in Part I of this “Why Job Fit Matters” series, I took a look at the research with respect to employees and job fit. Today, I’m uncovering what’s in it for employers:
A 2005 meta-analysis of 172 studies conducted by Professor Kristof-Brown and her colleagues revealed the reasons below:
- A good fit leads to a happier employee: These researchers found how well a person was matched to their job (i.e., person-job fit), organization (i.e., person-organization fit), work team (i.e., person-team fit), and supervisor (ie., person-supervisor fit) was significantly related to job satisfaction.
- A good fit leads to a more productive employee: They also found person-job fit, person-group fit, person-supervisor fit, and person-organization fit were significantly related to job performance.
- A good fit leads to more committed employee: Person-job fit, person-group fit, and person-organization fit were significantly related to organizational commitment, lower intentions of quitting, and lower turnover.
The bottom line?
Paying attention to whether a job candidate is a good fit for your company is a mutually beneficial decision. A good fit will result in a happier, healthier, and more rewarding relationship.
In practical terms, this means organizations should include measures of fit in their hiring and selection processes. For example, you may look to assess a job candidate’s need for autonomy if the job requires someone who works well with minimal supervision.
Ok, so that all sounds nice, but what does this mean for your bottom line? In short, reduced turnover, faster ramp up and increased productivity. If you’re interested in actual dollar amounts, I crunched a few numbers to determine the ROI of a positive job fit (and it’s pretty impressive).
How do you accurately measure and assess fit during your hiring process? Stay tuned for Part III in this “Why Fit Matters” series to find out.
This is Part II of a four-part series on “Why Job Fit Matters.”
Latest posts by Ji-A Min (see all)
- People Analytics Software: Best Practices From The Experts - September 23, 2016
- Diversity Hiring: 6 Steps To Hiring More Diverse Candidates - September 22, 2016
- People Analytics For Recruitment: A How-To Pocket Guide - September 21, 2016