The 5 Personality Traits That Affect Your Salary
Did you know that your personality significantly affects how much money you make? Well, it does! These are the 5 personality traits that affect your salary:
The effect of conscientiousness on your salary
Conscientious people tend to be organized, hardworking, and achievement-striving. Previous research has shown that conscientiousness is correlated with job performance and sales productivity, which is fantastic news for employers. The current research found that a one standard deviation increase in conscientiousness is related to a:
- 3–6% increase in annual wages
The effect of extraversion on your salary
Extraverted people tend to be social, energetic, and assertive. Similar to conscientiousness, previous research has shown that extraversion is correlated with job performance and sales productivity. Professor Fletcher found that a one standard deviation increase in extraversion is related to a:
- 5–6% increase in annual wages
The effect of neuroticism on your salary
Neurotic people tend to be anxious, negative, and get stressed out more easily. Although previous research has found that neuroticism is not correlated with job performance, the current study found that a one standard deviation increase in neuroticism is associated with a:
- 5–9% decrease in annual wages
Other factors that affect your salary
To put the numbers above into context, the results also found that:
- a one standard deviation increase in intelligence (i.e., cognitive skills) is related to a 12% increase in annual wages
- an extra year of school is related to a 9-10% increase in annual wages
Research shows that the personality traits of conscientiousness, extraversion, and neuroticism make a difference of 3-9% in your annual salary, which can mean thousands of extra (or lost) income over your career.
So completing a survey of the Big Five personality traits to see where you stand might just be worth your while.
Are you looking for a sales job? Use Ideal Candidate and let the employers come to you. Find your match and make more money. Sign up now!
Latest posts by Ji-A Min (see all)
- How Automated Candidate Screening Solves The “Ignore” Problem - December 7, 2016
- The Recruiting Software Stack: A Buyer’s Guide To The Top 4 Innovations - December 2, 2016
- AI Recruitment: The Future of Automated Recruiting - November 22, 2016