Sales Hiring Tools Will Help You Quit “Gut Feel” Hiring For Good
This week Mashable, the king of handy lists, published 8 Bad Habits You Can Quit Using Apps. Usual culprits made the list: Quit It for smoking, Mint for overspending, even Stop Nail Biting for nail biters (warning: not necessarily endorsing this one.. hypnosis involved), but there was one sorely missed..
“Gut feel” hiring.
This sneaky bad habit often ducks under the radar. It may not lead to cancer but it will fast-track your way to bankruptcy. Other names include, “going with the gut hiring”, “intuitive hiring” and “very very expensive hiring.”
Let me know if this sounds familiar:
- A spot opens up on your sales team
- Your monthly sales goals are taking a hit, not to mention your annual targets which were supposed to be looking a lot better by now
- You rush to fill the opening since every day is costing you
- Filter through resumes based on any means of standardization you can think of
- Interview a half dozen candidates
- Attempt to enforce a shred of hiring rigor by asking the same questions to each candidate
- Ultimately go with your gut, you reallllllly don’t have time for this right now
- Your new hire wasn’t quite what they seemed in the interview, despite their gift of the gab
- The new hire is not a good fit for your company and is eventually terminated (coming in with what experts have determined to be a $114,957.00 price tag.)
Familiar? Unfortunately. Costly? Extremely. Preventable? Yes.
Until very recently, sales professionals have accepted the high turnover and ramp up costs of sales hiring as an industry-wide problem. Based on the unsustainable premise, “if my competition is suffering the same problems, there is no solution.” This fallacy has brought strong companies to their knees in the past (think Blockbuster), but it doesn’t have to happen to you. Educate yourself in sales hiring tools that will add standardization and data-backed decision making to your process (no hypnosis required).
The reality is, with a problem as expensive sales recruiting, your competition may already be on the lookout. Beat them to it.
Have you already started to use sales hiring tools? Let us know what works and what doesn’t!
Latest posts by Kayla Kozan (see all)
- Guest Blog: Why Engaging Staff is Crucial for Retention [Infographic] - January 10, 2017
- Talent Acquisition Memes: The 20 (Hilarious) Memes That Are Way Too Accurate - December 22, 2016
- Talent Acquisition Innovation: Resume Screening Using AI - November 15, 2016