What’s a sales personality assessment? And how does it help you hire better salespeople?
In the third episode of Ideal.com’s video series The Science of Sales Hiring, I explain how a sales personality assessment helps you identify salespeople who are more likely to succeed in your sales role – and produce 20.7% higher sales revenue on average.
The personality traits to look for when hiring salespeople
The most commonly researched personality traits for salespeople are the OCEAN traits (aka The Big Five):
- Openness to Experience (how creative you are)
- Conscientiousness (how hardworking you are)
- Extraversion (how social you are)
- Agreeableness (how nice you are)
- Neuroticism (how negative you are)
Out of the five OCEAN traits, the ones that have the highest correlations with sales performance are: Conscientiousness and Extraversion.
Research has found that Conscientiousness and Extraversion explain about 17% of the differences in sales performance. That’s a lot! Compare that to prior experience, which only explains about 3% of the differences in sales performance.
The best personality assessment to use when hiring salespeople
There are three main ways to assess personality in salespeople before you hire them.
- Yourself: The salesperson completes an assessment of his of her own personality.
- Other people: Friends, family, and co-workers complete an assessment of the salesperson’s personality.
- Social media profiles: Other people (e.g., hiring managers) complete an assessment of the salesperson’s personality based on his or her social media profiles.
Research has found that other people’s assessments of a salesperson’s personality and assessments of a salesperson’s personality based on social media profiles are correlated with work performance.
However, the most common method of assessing salespeople’s personality is getting them to assess themselves. Why? It works!
Getting salespeople to rate their own personality results in hiring salespeople who produce on average 20.7% higher sales revenue.
Check out the third episode of The Science of Sales Hiring below – How To Use A Personality Assessment To Hire Salespeople
Are you looking for salespeople that are a perfect fit for your sales role, team, and company culture? Use Ideal.com to automate candidate sourcing and duplicate your top sales performers. Sign up for a free trial now.
Latest posts by Ji-A Min (see all)
- Recruiting Technology: 4 Tips On Picking The Right Tech For You - October 20, 2016
- A Shortlisting Criteria How-To Guide For Identifying The Best Candidates - October 13, 2016
- Diversity Recruitment: 5 Proven Strategies For Workplace Diversity - October 12, 2016