Business Development Leader
About the company
Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners everywhere.
With more than 85 global partners, we are proud to count the world’s leading universities, nonprofits, and institutions as our members. EdX university members top the QS World University Rankings® with our founders receiving the top honors, and edX partner institutions ranking highly on the full list.
Around the world—from coast to coast, in more than 192 countries, people are making the decision to take one or several of our courses. As we continue to grow our operations, we are looking for talented, passionate people with great ideas to join the edX team. We aim to create an environment that is supportive, diverse, and as fun as our brand. If you’re results-oriented, dedicated, and ready to contribute to an unparalleled member experience for our community, we really want you to apply.
About the role
EdX is a nonprofit, open-source enterprise offering online courses from more than 65 member institutions, composed of both leading global universities and colleges and a diverse group of prominent organizations from around the world.
Founded by Harvard University and MIT, edX is focused on transforming online and on-campus learning through groundbreaking methodologies, game-like experiences and cutting-edge research on an open-source platform. Based in Cambridge, MA, USA, edX is focused on people, not profit.
The Business Development team is growing and we are looking for a specialist who will locate, develop, define, negotiate and close business relationships for edX. This is fast-paced role with an educational start-up who is literally transforming the way we learn. If you are ready to use your proven business development skills, this is the role you’ve been waiting for.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and sell to large global customer targets who would be interested in driving their significant employee or membership bases to edX to participate in edX courses (paid and free) to grow our revenue and learner base.
- Take over new emerging opportunities provided to you by edX executive team, and lead the development of agreements and contracts in conjunction with our legal teams, that are win-win for edX and the partner. These partners may include content buyers, technical developers, distributors, foundations, institutions, etc.
- Use your team implementation skills to launch the signed agreements internally with edX stakeholders to ensure a successful start to the new partner relationships.
- Build relationships with our University and other members, to help identify revenue opportunities tied to their creation of high demand Prof Edu courses as we learn what the buyers want.
- Actively contact assigned prospects and clients to build a pipeline of new business development opportunities, both proactive and based on direction received from your manager.
- Leverage and execute selling strategies to minimize the sales cycle and maximize the closing of new business.
- Coordinate and conduct executive briefings and other non-traditional public relations programs to build prospect and client relationships and develop new business.
- Profile and maintain information on prospects in Salesforce.
- Monitor competitor’s product and service portfolios and selling strategies. Use this intelligence to help edX develop competitive selling strategies.
- Develop reports on activities, trends and results.
- Additional projects as needed.
- At least 5 years of experience in business development, developing new client relationships, partnerships, and closing contracts.
- Self-starter who can bring high energy and strong activity, with a bias to action, to this position.
- This role requires excellent negotiating and deal structure skills, attention to detail, ability to write and design terms and term-sheets, consensus building, excellent communication skills both customer facing and internal to promote and ‘sell’ the deal on its merits.
- Demonstrated success in a Business Development role where you had to identify, negotiate, and contract with partners and clients. Full sales cycle.
- Experience working with senior level executives in business, government, technology, and education.
- Knowledge of the education/higher ed/training and learning industry, in general, and content related solutions, in particular.
- Ability to develop and propose unique solutions to clients and prospects.
- Ability to work independently and excellent time management skills.
- Passionate about changing the world through access to education and the world’s top courses, from the best global universities and institutions.
- Willing to put in the time to reach goals and objectives, understands the ‘start up ‘ and entrepreneurial approach to this business that requires continuous availability.
- We are looking for someone results oriented that can truly dedicate themselves to the time and activities required.
- Valid passport.
- Proven negotiation skills.
- Able and willing to travel internationally as requested